Located on the Costa de Azahar , in the north of the province of Castellón, on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea and surrounded by irrigated orchards, we find Benicarló.
There is evidence that they already lived in this area in Iberian times . This is demonstrated by the remains of the towns of El Puig de la Nao and Tossa, two important sites located next to Benicarló.
Its port and its beaches, with clean waters , ideal for a good dip in summer and a pleasant walk throughout the year.
A city with history
In addition to the attractions of sun and beach, it has a medieval historical center folded with stately houses, monuments and buildings of different styles such as:
- The church of San Bartolomé , patron saint of the city, dating from the 18th century, great exponent of the architecture of the last phase of the Baroque, with the Bell Tower.
- Hermitages such as Cristo del Mar , also known as the Church of San Pedro, located near the port and the Hermitage of San Gregorio with a wide portico formed by five carved stone arches.
- Walls of Benicarló . There are still some remains of the walled recital and the Tower of the Martyrs, which was part of a watchtower that is located near the hermitage of the same name.
- Stately homes such as La Casa del Marqués de Benicarló , from the s. XVIII cataloged as a Site of Cultural Interest and La Casa Bosch , a residential building in the Valencian modernist style built in the twentieth century.
- Museum of the City of Benicarló where you can learn more about its historical journey. Located in the old Convent of San Francisco. It is currently the cultural center of the city and from there a wide and attractive cultural program is offered.
And let’s not forget gastronomy
This guided tour of Benicarló allows you discover the architectural, cultural and historical and natural heritage. It is an experience for the senses . For example, through taste, its local gastronomy, a fundamental part of getting to know a place.
In Benicarló we cannot forget the Artichoke , with its own designation of origin. A culinary product with many possibilities: it can be used both in starters, succulent stews, grilled and even sweets. Are you going to miss it?